The reason? He was apparently too close the Liberals (indeed he was).
It also means that Barnaby Joyce might be promoted. He says so, anyway.
- "Senator Joyce says he is hoping to be promoted.
"That is for my colleagues to decide and I look forward to their support if I can get it," he said.
"I am certainly standing for Senate leader, I make no qualms about that."
- (source: ABC News - Brisbane Regional bulletin).
The shock-waves of the election results keep on rolling along.
By the way, Costello said today that the Liberal Party missed the chance to present a fresh face (his, of course). He also said what we all knew he would say, sooner of later. He is not going to serve out the full term. What a shock?
The most interesting statement is by Senator Judith Troeth.
- "Meanwhile, senior Liberal Senator Judith Troeth has accused several colleagues of hijacking the party in a failed effort to make Mr Costello the next prime minister.
- "Senator Troeth has served as a Victorian Senator since 1993.
- "She has told the ABC's Stateline program that a small group in Victoria over the past decade ensured candidates were preselected because they supported Mr Costello's bid for the Lodge.
- "She says it lead to the Coalition's downfall at the recent election."