- Jets will patrol a restricted area within a 45-nautical-mile radius of Kingsford Smith Airport and all other flights set to travel through the area will be required to pre-register and obtain approval.
- People on elective surgery lists in hospitals including Prince of Wales and Royal Price Alfred have had their appointments postponed to free up resources.
- Concrete fences have been used to fence restricted areas of the Sydney Opera House, Exhibition and Convention Centre and the Government House.
- The Australian Defence Force announced that around 1500 personnel, Black Hawk helicopters, F/A-18 Hornet fighter jets, a special task group and Navy ships will be released for the event.
- A video featuring the Maritime Union of Australia protesting against Work Choices as part of a montage of ‘violent’ protesters has been shown as part of police training for the summit.
- Circular Quay, Museum and St James train stations will be closed for three days and moved to Elizabeth Street.
- For those planning to visit the city, delays and random police searches are said to be expected.
- NSW Premier Morris Iemma announced that temporary legislation would be put into force to increase police powers over the duration of the summit.
- Rumours of a 2.8m high concrete "ring of steel" to be built around the CBD have been circulating, alarming business owners.
- A $600 000 water cannon has been purchased by the police to be used against violent protesters.
- The NSW Police Minister has announced that taser guns, not capsicum spray, will be carried by riot police for crowd control.
For the record, I would recommend that anyone looking to get famous at this forthcoming "event" ought think again - for judging by the political, and security preparations, it is sure to get out of hand, and be a total (and dangerous) mess.
Besides, let us hope that the "crazies" do not hand John Howard (or whoever might be leading the Liberals by then) a guaranteed "Law and Order" issue on which to sweep back into office.
Australia needs discipline, in the lead up to the next election - not a huge "stunt" powered with Taser Guns and Liberal Party testosterone, and US Republican Party "War on Terror" security advisers, standing in the shadows speaking into their cuff links.