Saturday 31 July 2010

The role of Gall Bladders in Australian Politics

My brother, knows a thing or two about Gall Bladder surgery, has just sent me a cryptic message: "Leaking gall bladders spread bile through the system and cause stomach cramps."

I was pondering this very point this afternoon, when I heard that Kevin Rudd had been taken off to hospital for urgent surgery - for removal of his Gall Bladder. The connection between Gall Bladders and bile is very direct, clear and not at all "symbolic". Or is it?

And I was reminded earlier in the day of the link between bile, gall stones and pancreatitis, the condition which famously ended the career of the former Labor Leader Mark Latham. It ended his career, but not the flow of bile.

It all makes one wonder about the health risks of being a Labor Party Politician.

2 comments:

Brigid said...

Denis,

How very prescient of your brother. My gall bladder surgery was 36years ago - I was 30. But the saying has always been (at least in regard to women - don't know if it is meant to apply to men) that it occurs to those who are fair, fat, fertile and forty!

But I have never forgotten the pain. It is said that gall bladder pain is one of the worst - so I would think that this must have been very difficult for Kevin getting around the electorate and having to put a smile on his dial at the same time.

B&B
B

Denis Wilson said...

Prescient? His wife has just had surgery, so I should imagine there is a lot of talk about Gall Bladders there at the moment.
But certainly the comment was timely, as my mind was going through the same thought pattern that evening. When I came back and found his email, it was too great a coincidence for me to not publish the joint idea.
Denis

REMEMBER: "IT IS BY BEING QUIET AND POLITE CITIZENS WE ALLOW OURSELVES TO BE IGNORED"